Yet another piece of history not far from our Lechlade village, the magnificent building which is The Great Coxwell Tithe Barn. Built between 1300-1310 AD, it formed part of the Faringdon estate of Cistercian monks granted a royal charter by King John of Magna Carta fame in 1203 AD.
William Morris called it “the most beautiful building in England”! It’s sheer scale and complexity of internal roof structure in quite incredible, 144ft long, 38ft wide and with an internal area of 5500 sq ft. Used not only for storing grain, it is so large it seems likely that the initial threshing was done here by monks and lay-workers on a very busy estate raising sheep for wool, seed and animal feed and other crops sold to raise funds for the main Abbey which was at Beaulieu.
The Barn is now owned and maintained by The National Trust, permanently opened for visitors with parking for 5-6 cars on the roadside. There is an “honesty box” for a small donation as entry fee.